I hope to inspire and encourage others through my own life experiences and my faith ...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Am I Waiting For God or Is He Waiting For Me?

"But those who wait for the Lord (who expect, look for and hope in Him) shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up (closer to God) like eagles.  They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired" -Isaiah 40:31 AMP.

I have journeyed a long road in trying to figure out who I am, what I am meant to be, where I am supposed to go.  I knew He had amazing plans for my life, but what those were exactly was a mystery to me.  After wishing and hoping that God would reveal to me His great plan for my life and then not seeing any results, I became discouraged.  Why was it so hard to find the answers to my questions? 

After reading Isaiah 40:31 many times and really applying myself and my life to it, I gradually began to see that it would take more then "wishing" to get to where I wanted to be.  Those who expect something to grow or happen over night are foolish and I had been that fool.  Faith comes gradually and by practice. When we plant a seed does it sprout as we sleep that very same night? No, we must care for it by watering it and giving it sun light.  It is a continued cycle of dedicated time and attention. If we devote our efforts to this plant, we can proudly watch it sprout, grow and become something beautiful and fruitful.  If we neglect it, it withers away to nothing.

The same goes with our faith.  I had been expecting to grow by starving myself spiritually and became frustrated when I didn't get the immediate answers that I was after.  I can understand Jesus, love Him, desire to be in relationship with Him, but if I'm not willing to do what it takes to have relationship with Him I am lost.  In Revelation 3:20 Jesus calls out to us saying, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."  If I'm not willing to open the door, how will I have community with Him?  After all, Jesus never forces His way in, we must invite Him. 

By learning to expect, look for, listen and hope my faith began to grow exponentially.  It is exciting  knowing all that can happen and be revealed by Him by simply following through and giving myself ample opportunity to learn and grow.  We aren't born mature Christian individuals.  Hearing God's voice takes practice.  Without really learning to tune into Him and listen to His words, we cannot honestly hear Him.  When we are open and willing He can work in marvelous ways!   Can I now see every step where He is leading me?  No, but aren't we called to walk by faith?  Do I know exactly the plans He has laid out for me?  Not exactly but I have a better idea.   I am at peace knowing that His plans will come to life and in the meantime I am loving the growth and closeness of our relationship.

Do you struggle with figuring out the plans God has for your life?  Do you feel like you are stumbling around in the dark waiting for Him to shine the light down on you?  I encourage you to invite Jesus in and find new ways to grow in Him.  Try a new bible study, read a new book in the bible that you have never read, start a journal (!), try out expecting Him to move in your life rather then wishing, read one encouraging verse every morning before you start your day, ask Him to reveal Himself to you everyday ... there a many ways to grow, you just need to find them and dedicate yourself to them- then watch things happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment