I hope to inspire and encourage others through my own life experiences and my faith ...

Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Friend Loves At All Times

During the last year I have had the chance to really examine my friendships.  Rather then going day to day living with my friends, I have taken the time to sit back and really look at my different friendships.  Like anyone else my friendships have had their ups and downs.  I've experienced the pure joy and bliss that friendship can bring and I have also witnessed the raging storms that sometimes creep into friendships.  I have gained many precious friends over the years and sadly lost others along the way. 

Friends are a precious commodity to me.  I honestly don't know how I would live without mine.  All of my friends are totally different and bring different things to my life.  I value each and everyone of them for the various aspects that they contribute to my life.  I can look back on various times in my life when I have felt a certain way, and remember needing or wanting a specific person who I knew could carry me through whatever that situation was.  The friend that I could call on depended on what I was going through.  God blesses us richly in that way.  He gives us variety to spice up our lives.  Wouldn't it be boring if we all only had one friend who was our only friend and that was all we got?!  Even if that person held all the qualities we would ever need or desire in a friend, it would still get boring.  He gives us the chance to build multiple friendships with a vast number of unique people.

As stated above I have had my share of ups and downs in friendships.  Sadly some of those downs have been caused my by own selfish ambition and pride.  I have hurt others and been hurt by others.  I have turned my back, withdrawn my hand and even wimped out on some of my friends over the years.  I am not proud of that.  God has been working in me over the last year and showing me parts of myself that need fixin'!  As important of a role as my friendships have played in my life, I have not always done my best to be thankful for and given my all to maintain some of those. 

Proverbs 17:17 says, "A friend loves at all times ... " Have you always loved your friends as you should?  Have your friends always been given a fair and honest part of you?  Have you been loyal?  We have all fallen short in friendships and relationships.  It is only human to fail!  I think though, that we need to step back and examine those times when we have failed our friends and take an honest look at ourselves.  What kind of friend am I?  What do I offer?  How can I better serve my friends?  The greatest example of a loyal friend is someone who sticks by you during the most difficult times of distress and personal struggle.  It can be hard to be a friend to someone during times like that, but that is when you can be your best to those you love.  That is when friendships really counts.  Don't be remembered as the person who was around when it suited only themself and then disappeared when the going got tough.  Be remembered as the dear friend who was always there, even when it was hard.  The person who could always be counted on. 

As I look forward to the future of my friendships I am seeking how I can be that better person.  As much as these precious people mean to me, they deserve the best from me all the time.  A friend loves at all times.  It comes down to a simple logic, love.  Nurture and care for those special people that you have been blessed with.  They have been handpicked for you and you for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment